Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Taking A Stand

My children's school sent out a questioner. They wanted to know how well they are doing, as a school. They asked for comments at the end about what we thought was important for our children's eduction. This is what I wrote to them:

1. I think that schools should create an environment that is conducive to learning. I know that teachers get frustrated but it never helps the situation to yell, belittle, or use profanity in class. Those that are watching and listening are affected by this behavior.

2. I think that P.E. should be brought back on a daily basis. It will give children a place to release pent up energy that they otherwise use to annoy teachers and cause problems in class.

3. I strongly believe that all children should be punished for their own transgressions and not for others. My children have continually had children in their class with behavioral problems, and will continue. I do not think that the children with the problems are getting any better with peer pressure; instead other children are being punished. I ask you to rectify this situation.
( If you do not understand this; our schools punish as a class. They think that if all the children get mad at the one causing the problem it will make the trouble maker improve their behavior.)
I even took my comments to the principals office. She said that I had three very valid points. She was going to talk to the staff about #1 & 3. Plus, she would like to do something about #2. She thought that it was a good point that if children released energy outside there might be less problems in classroom.
I am going to continue to keep an eye on the situation. I am hopping that things will change but I do not always trust that others will follow through.

1 comment:

aisha said...

Good for you! My kids have friends whose teachers have punished as a class, and it just sounds so unfair. And we're pretty lucky here as far as P.E. goes. Their school has a good program. Lots of times when I'm waiting for Libby and Bailey, Libby's class is outside doing stuff. It's fun to watch her when she doesn't know I'm there!